The Catholic Church together with the many Catholic social services agencies across the state are making considerable efforts to assist people seeking asylum, refugees, and other migrants who hold temporary visas. Many remain in harsh circumstances in detention centres, and the majority of the 100,000+ living in Australian community have been deemed ineligible for any federal government support payments during COVID-19, making many at risk of homelessness and despair.
Refugees and asylum seekers are among our most vulnerable community members. Collectively, we can do much to provide practical assistance and support.
Welcome the Asylum Parish Support Program
CSSV auspices the Welcome the Asylum Seeker Parish Support Program, which aims to promote the Gospel message of welcome and support for asylum seekers and refugees to Catholic parishes.
CSSV and its member agencies
- encourage parishes to reach out to asylum seekers and refugees, in appropriate ways within the capacity of each parish
- recognise and celebrate the contributions of parishes providing support for asylum seekers.
- support parishes, agencies and individuals advocating for more humane asylum seeker policies.
- Our Vision Increasing numbers of Catholic parishes reaching out and supporting asylum seekers and refugees in their parishes and in the broader community. A humane asylum seeker policy in Australia, where asylum seekers and refugees are welcomed and helped to settle in our communities
News related to asylum seekers and refugees
Melbourne Palm Sunday Walk for Justice and Freedom for Refugees
Catholic Social Services Victoria joins our members, the sector, and others of good will inurging attendance at the upcoming Walk for Justice and Freedom for Refugees. The gathering will start at 2pm on Palm Sunday – April 10th at State Library of Victoria and then walk to the Park Hotel Swanston Street where 8 refugees were held for two years.
CAPSA calls for generous response to all refugees
The Catholic Alliance for People Seeking Asylum (CAPSA) joins Pope Francis, Australian Catholic Bishops Conference (ACBC), and other Catholic organisations such as Caritas Australia, in not only calling for an end to the escalating violence and conflict occurring in Ukraine, but also in Afghanistan, Myanmar, Ethiopia, Syria, Iraq, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Yemen and Venezuela.
Faith leaders stand in solidarity with asylum seekers
An ecumenical group of Christian leaders took turns to be locked in a cage outside the Park Hotel in Carlton, in Melbourne’s inner-north on Saturday to demonstrate their solidarity with around 32 refugees and asylum seekers detained there.
CSSV Service Providers working to assist refugees and asylum seekers
Refugees & Asylum Seekers
Brigidine Asylum Seeker Project
BASP works for a humane, just and inclusive approach for people seeking asylum in Australia.
- 54 Beaconsfield Parade, Albert Park VIC 3206
- (03) 9696 2107
Cabrini Outreach is a community development organisation and member of an international family of services inspired by the spirit and vision of Mother Cabrini and the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
- 183 Wattletree Rd, Malvern VIC 3144
On 1 January 2021, Centacare Ballarat, CatholicCare Melbourne/Gippsland and CatholicCare Sandhurst merged to form a new entity, CatholicCare Victoria. This alignment will enhance and strengthen service provision to the vulnerable and marginalised.
- 383 Albert Street, East Melbourne VIC 3002
- 03 9287 5555
Join our mailing list
Keep up to date with latest news, information and upcoming events.