The Catholic Women’s Social Guild – now known as the Catholic Women’s League of Victoria and Wagga Wagga Inc. – was founded in the Melbourne Archdiocese in 1916 by a group of young Catholic women whose aim was to bring about change in world affairs through prayer and action.
Other Catholic Dioceses in Victoria followed the lead of these women and similar minded women founded the Guild in ensuing years.
During the 1950’s, the Bishop of Wagga Wagga requested that members of the Wagga Wagga Diocese be accepted as part of the Victorian Catholic Women’s League. This request was agreed to by the then Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne.
Over the years, League members have continued to endeavour to change world affairs through prayer and action. Members of the League assist women and children in times of need, e.g., with food, education and micro credit, etc. Submissions are made to Governments when proposals for change to laws are against the teachings of the Catholic Church.
The Constitution of the Catholic Women’s League of Victoria and Wagga Wagga Incorporated was approved by the League on 21 August 2019.
Join our mailing list
Keep up to date with latest news, information and upcoming events.